Okay, maybe not so diva. I am just me. Posting about me. Got a problem with that?

Friday, March 23, 2007

Bullys: An essay


Noise fills the hallways at schools. Sound seems to be an essential in a day of life, and no, I do not mean music either. Well, unless your definition of music is constant bickering, fighting, and the calling out of names. You see, to get anywhere in life at school, you need to be vicious, right? I beg, and plead to differ.

A wise man once said " A kite always flys against the wind, never with it". Whoever said that you should "Go with the flow" was completly wrong. Infact, this person was probably one of those few, happy, joyfull people. In other words, a bully. A bully is that person who everyone seems to like, or dislike. He or she was probably the regulator of the "flow" A bully is that kid who picked on you. Only you, it seemed, and nobody else...

After a long and work-filled day, I made my usuall route from my fourth period class, past the crowds, down the stairs, and out of the doors. I let out a deep sigh. The day was over, and I had not been harassed once.

Have you ever took a diffrent way out of school, away from most of the crowds, just to avoid one group of people? School for some people is a battlefield due to the fact that they do not want to "rock the boat" and get others to feel uncomfortable around them. This is what bullys feed off of: Your politeness.

I walked toward the buses, hoping that one of my friends would be saving me a seat. It is hard for a sinfull, gay 8th grader to score a seat on an overcrowded bus. As I steped onto the bus, my heart sank. 'Here we go again' I thought as I slowly walked down the isle. "may I sit here" I asked. No. No was the answer everyone gave. "No your a FAG" "Get away from the bus you QUEER" "Sorry, no room for FAGS" The bus driver looked up through her mirror, observing the scene with an unfazed look. As if she could care less. That was the last straw. I stormed out of the bus, passing bully, by bully ignoring them as best as I could.

I know that nearly every teacher, in this case would tell me to ignore them. And as you can tell in my situation, I did. I ignored them with my best efforts every day that I would be constantly harassed. But alas, I came to a realization. 'Maybe' I thought 'that is really feed off of'. What they really feed off of, as I realized, was your fear to stand up to them.

I ran, I ran blindly, to a place under the stares that nobody could possibly see me. It was that moment that my emotions that gathered in my soal bursted. I broke down crying, sobing for what seemed like hours.

For all of you out there who are reading this, Victim or bully, Gay or straight, Christian or other, Teenager or adult, lets stand together to make our schools a better place. Even if you would smile at someone once the whole day, I'll bet that one by one, we can make this world a happier place. Together, we can foster tolerance for all.

I want you to think about this one, last question. How would life be if one kept their beliefs, but at the same time, didn't bash others?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

William Sledd (Vote for him at youtube!)